In 2016, Werner Electric Supply moved into a newly-built facility in Appleton, WI after having been based in Neenah, WI since the company’s founding in 1948. The marketing department was asked to create a “history wall” to be installed in the new lobby. The project serves as a prime example of strong teamwork, diligence, responsiveness to client goals, attention to detail, and the pursuit of creative solutions. For me, in particular, it represents the culmination of skills that I have developed throughout my graphic design career.
My team was presented with the challenge in late March of 2016 and given the goal of final installation in time for the company grand opening July 17, 2016.
• Wall dimensions: 307″ x 116″
• Include photos and artifacts from company history
• Research: gathering of historic photos and artifacts (such as old Electrical Code books from our founder, awards, articles of incorporation, etc.)
• Brainstorming research and development of rough concepts. This included visits to the worksite, discussions, sketches, rough drafts.
• Interviewed vendors, presented RFQs, discussed timelines, technology, techniques, materials, and costs.
• Presentation to executive team.
• Revision and refinement of concepts. Combining components from several designs into one version.
• Selection of vendors: sign company, and AV company.
• Work with vendors to select specific materials, define specific components, processes, steps, schedules.
• Coordination with building contractor, electricians, installers. Procurement of materials.
• Detailed production work: writing copy, clean-up scans, carefully measure working area, create print-ready artwork.
• Build physical mockup of conduit sculpture.
• Work with electrician and sign company to fabricate sculpture.
• Work with internal technicians to cut state of WI.
• Oversee installation.